Sausage and Kale Pesto Pizza with Blistered Tomato-Arugula Salad
You don’t have to be a whiz with pizza dough to make this fast cast-iron skillet version–just pat it out to size, and the pan shapes it into a perfect circle. And because you don’t have to stretch the dough very thin, it doesn’t have to rest as long as with traditional recipes.
Source: January 2015 RECIPE BY COOKING LIGHT/ Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Claire Spollen
- 10 ounce refrigerated fresh whole-wheat or whole-grain pizza dough
- Cooking spray
- 3 ounces pork Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 ounces prechopped curly kale (about 3 tightly packed cups)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes or small cherry tomatoes 1 (5-ounce) package baby arugula
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
Step 1 Place dough on counter at room temperature; cover to prevent drying.
Step 2 Preheat broiler to high.
Step 3 Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove sausage from pan. Add kale, 2 tablespoons water, and sugar to pan; cover and cook 2 minutes or until kale wilts. Place kale on 2 layers of paper towels; squeeze out excess moisture. Wipe pan clean with paper towels.
Step 4 Place nuts and 1 garlic clove in a mini food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add kale; pulse until finely chopped. Add 2 tablespoons oil; process until almost pastelike (add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons water, if necessary). Add Parmigiano-Reggiano; pulse mixture just until combined.
Step 5 Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Roll dough into a 10 1/2-inch circle. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Fit dough in pan, pressing slightly up sides of pan. Top evenly with pesto; sprinkle with sausage and mozzarella. Cook 2 minutes over medium-high heat or until browned on bottom. Place pan in oven; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut into 8 wedges.
Step 6 Combine tomatoes, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and remaining garlic clove on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan; toss to coat. Broil 5 minutes or until tomatoes burst and are charred in spots, stirring occasionally. Place arugula in a large bowl. Top with tomato mixture (and juices), salt, and pepper; toss to combine.