What is Yoga
• ‘Yoga’ means union. It is a practice that aims to unite body, mind and spirit.
• There are eight limbs to yoga. Many of the limbs focus on mental and spiritual aspects of life. One of these limbs is called “asana.” It focuses on physical health of the body.
• The asana practice (a typical class) takes the body through a series of postures (poses) which challenge the strength and flexibility of not only the body, but also the mind and one’s spirit!
• Classes range greatly in style, from gentle to very vigorous. It depends on the style of the class and the teacher.
• Ultimately, the body is moved in ways to build heat, stamina, strength, flexibility, alignment and mobility.
• Yoga embraces a non-competitive spirit and focuses on acceptance and being fully present.